Followers

Sunday, June 30, 2013

A 'SMASH' ing Alteration

Hi bloggers, its been a while, I'm still trying to turn those stubborn lemons into something worth the wait but its slow going. Meanwhile, I'd been working on a project that has taken me quite a while to complete. I'm proud to say, it has been completed and I couldn't be more excited to show and tell, but first, a back story!

A few months ago I started seeing these K & Co 'Smash Journals' everywhere (along with DIY tutorials on how to make your own). I loved the tutorials because when you can DIY and save money its always a great feeling on you and your pockets! And lets face it, at roughly 14.99 a book its a bit steep so why not do it yourself? why? I'll tell you why, Michaels sent me a '50% off one regular priced item' coupon in the mail and it was burning a hole in my pocket :). Anywho, I selected and purchased the one with the pink binding, Pretty Style Folio, got home, and waited for some great creative revelation to hit me... Weeks later I was still waiting. I tried journaling in it, doodling, treating it like a scrapbook, but nothing. No great work of art or much of anything else came about and I started to give up hope until one day I found the problem. It was boring, plain, and downright ordinary looking! How could I be inspired when the book itself was so uninspiring. I immediately began to design the perfect cover and to do this I had to take it in stages. A lot of hard work and many hours went into this project but it was definitely a labor of love and I'd do it again!
(BEFORE)
 
 
(AFTER)
Lolli Anya, Cheeky Geeky, Queen Bean, Alice Bean, C.C. Madden, Cheshire Bean, C.C. Friday Night, C.C. Lula
Sentiments: Anya Strolls, Anya Lifts, O&A My Favorite Things

Cheeky Geeky, Queen Bean, Alice Bean, C.C. Madden

Cheeky Geeky, Queen Bean, Alice Bean, C.C. Madden, Cheshire Bean

Lolli Anya, C.C. Lula, Cheeky Geeky, Cheshire Bean
Sentiments: Anya Strolls, Anya Lifts

Lolli Anya, Cheeky Geeky, C.C. Lula, C.C. Friday Night

C.C. Madden & Lolli Anya
 
As you can see, I had lots of fun layering and distressing and stamping and coloring to bring this book cover to life! I used quite a few of the TGF stamps in my arsenal, and actually have about 5 or 6 more colored up that were unfortunately too big to make the cover but will still be used for future projects, promise! I used Tim Holtz Walnut Stain to distress the edges of several sheets of paper from DCWV as well as a sheet of translucent vellum with script. I added a few pages from an old book also distressed with Walnut Stain as well as Antique Linen. Each of the girlies were stamped around a sheet of kraft colored cardstock and each took about an hour to color. I love the way prismas look on kraft cardstock so I tried to experiment with skin tones as well as outfit colors and was very happy with the outcome. Dark skin is not the easiest to render on kraft, found that out the hard way. But the key is layering, much like working with copics. Once I figured that out it was (semi) smooth sailing from there! Everything was held on and sealed with my homemade mod podge, which I found a 'recipe' for on Pintrest. Honestly, can you really call it a recipe if there's only 2 ingredients? oh well, the point is, whatever you call it, it works GREAT! I'll never buy the real thing again! To finish off the book I created several charms to fit my personality, connected a few jump rings and made a hanging charm for the binding of my book (gotta love that shrinky dink!). I plan to enter my altered SMASH folio in the following challenges:
 
The Greeting Farm Retro Fresh Challenge- Layers!
The Greeting Farm FFF Challenge- School's Out
Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes
 
Until next time,
-Krys


5 comments:

  1. Well you know I'm a big stalker and lover of your blog! Well this is exactly why! I blooming love this!! In fact you are an angel because I have been debating a smash book for the past two weeks! Reading tutorials on how to and reviews etc etc! I have some great ideas for them but not an actual one! lol how do you like them? Are they god quality in the flesh?
    I really likei this though so I am bursting a little to get one myself now lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! The coloring of these gals is wonderful and what a great idea for the smash book. Thanks for playing along with the Anything Goes Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you have transformed your Smash book well & truly ! Hope you have just as much fun on the inside now you have the cover to inspire you ! Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Krystal! Love your coloring & Design! What cute charms! Love...Love...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope things have gotten a bit better for you since the summer. This cover is ADORABLE! You *almost* made me want to alter a book just so I could put all my favorite cute stamps on the cover... :D

    ReplyDelete